On a yarn crawl through Tucson about a year ago, I stopped in Kiwi Knitting and picked up several balls of sock yarn. Among them was 2 balls of Crystal Palace Yarns Maizy Print (I don't remember the colorway, and threw away the ball band before I had it written down somewhere).
In September, I decided it was time to knit this yarn up, but couldn't decide on a pattern for it, so I cast on without one. Once I had my usual toe done, I started fiddling around with different stitch patterns. I wanted something with ribbing for a good fit, but not just plain. I tried a rib that was K1, P1 for 2 rows and K on the 3rd row. It was okay, but really just looked like basic ribbing - not very interesting. Then I noticed the pattern on the wrong side of the fabric. It looked a bit like thermal undergarments, and wasn't boring. Perfect! I now had the stitch pattern I wanted, so I ripped it out and began anew, being careful to take notes.
After about 1 1/2 months of working on them off and on, they were finished.
And another 1 1/2 months later, I've finally gotten the pattern all typed up and ready to go. If you're interested you can download it here.