Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Black Bean Soup






I had this delicious and healthy soup for lunch today. I started it in my crock pot yesterday afternoon. The slow cooking really brought the flavors together -- and made my house smell incredible. I sprinkled on a little grated extra sharp cheddar cheese, and served reduced salt Ritz crackers on the side (not forgetting to add a few to share with the pups). If you'd care to make your own, here's how I did it.

Black Bean Soup
1 lb. dried black beans, soaked and cooked
1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
4 carrots, diced
9 mini red, orange, and yellow bell peppers, diced
1 onion, diced
4 cups beef broth
1 t. coriander
1 t. oregano
1 t. marjoram

Place everything except the spices in the crock pot (you'll need at least the 5 qt. size). Stir, cover, and cook on LOW for 16 hours. Add the spices and cook for an additional 4 hours. Serve and enjoy.

No comments: