Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Back to Normal?

Things have been quite hectic around here lately. School started for my ds the day after Labor Day, so I was in a bit of a tizzy to get everything ready before then. I'll have to admit that I didn't quite get the classroom finished (I still have a couple of maps to hang), but enough to get the ball rolling. Last year Jay's least favorite subject was math (Algebra I, if you're interested). Well, so far this year, he has declared that his 2 favorite subjects are science (as always), and ... MATH! I couldn't be happier. We've also been blessed with the friendship of a math major, and he's willing to patiently answer all of Jay's questions and to discuss math with him for hours. Jay LOVES it. And our microscope is the favorite tool that we are using this year; it was well worth the investment, and I think every home should have at least one.

On the fiber front, I am spinning up some lovely maroon wool that I purchased at Tempe Yarn and Fiber. I'm not sure what type of wool it is, but it is fairly soft and spins quite easily. I'm aiming for a dk to worsted weight 3-ply, and so far that's what I'm getting.

I've finally finished knitting the Galveston Shawl, but haven't yet blocked it. It is large, lovely, and deserving of its own post, which it will get when I've blocked it.

A few of my friends have been busy having babies, so I've decided it's high time I got busy knitting something for them. I'm making the Cables and Textures Pullover from Leisure Arts #3325, Beautiful Baby out of Patons Beehive Baby in Baby Blue for the one that is almost 2-months-old. I'm making the 6 mo. size, figuring that he'll still be able to wear it when I'm done that way. I have a bit of a cushion for the rest of them since they aren't yet born, so when I've finished this one I'll cast on for the Cables and Checks pattern.

I'm also designing another pair of socks. I've not been able to settle on a name yet, but the texture reminds me of thermal underwear, so I've been calling them my Long Underwear Socks. We'll see if I can't come up with something better. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. :)

I've also finally cast on the Alpine Lace Scarf from Victorian Lace Today. I love the yarn (Alpaca with a Twist's Fino), and the pattern is beautiful, but I think I must be a little laced out right now because I haven't gotten much beyond the first edging pattern repeat AND I haven't even had any desire to knit it. (Sigh). Maybe it's the weather.

The Fall issue of Knitty has come out, and I find myself quite enamored with the Girl Friday cardigan. I feel certain that I will have to have this be the next project I start. I'm just trying to decide whether to make it with SWTC's Craft or Love from their Vickie Howell Collection. What do you think?

No comments: