Friday, February 26, 2010

It's A Wonder

There is nothing quite like homemade bread.  Yesterday, I decided I needed to have some so I whipped out my copy of Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads and baked up the Thirty-Minute White Bread (if you click the link above and "Click to Look Inside" on the photo, this recipe is shown).

Mr. Clayton explains that this recipe was developed by the KitchenAid home economists "to demonstrate the ease of kneading with a dough hook."  And easy it is.  

Following the instructions, everything went into my mixer and came out a smooth and lovely dough.  I will admit that I was a little nervous about the density, but I have tried several of the recipes in this book and never had one fail me, so I just went with it.

The aroma of baking bread filled my home, increasing everyone's appetite.  And this is what we got for dinner:

 

The flavor and texture remind me of that store bought brand that so many of us grew up with.  Soft, light, and oh so yummy!  Slathered with some butter and served with some hearty homemade vegetable beef soup (because man cannot live by bread alone ;) ) it made a wonderful supper.  We managed to go through an entire loaf.  

I guess it's a good thing that the recipe makes 2.

No comments: