Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Bag for Lara

Friends of mine, Sam and Lara, are adopting 3 children from Ethiopia.

The children are lovely, and are going to be part of a wonderful family.  And I'm sure they will be a blessing, as well as being blessed.

In the process, Sam and Lara have to make a few trips to Ethiopia.  Lara, who has long stated her wish for something hand knit, asked if I would make her a bag that she could bring with her.  So I did.


In the bright colors of the Ethiopian flag, I knitted and fulled this tote.


After punching the holes for the i-cord straps to go through, I reinforced them with grommets.
(h/t: AuburnChick for the excellent idea!)




The bag is roomy enough to store several items, and sturdy enough to keep them safe.

I hope she enjoys it on her next trip.




Speaking of which, I better hurry and get this in the mail so she gets it in time!

Details:  Knitted and fulled bag, designed by me.  Made from Wool of the Andes Bulky yarn in Wine (3 hanks), Turmeric (2 hanks), and Grass (2 hanks).  The bag was knit in pieces on size US 10 1/2 circular needles, then the pieces were crocheted together for a visible seam.  The i-cord was knit on size US 10 double-pointed needles in one piece, then cut into two pieces after fulling.

No comments: