Friday, April 24, 2009

Sock Madness 3 - Tokena

Meet the lovely socks that took me out of the competition.

The pattern is called Tokena(Ravelry link) and were designed by Tricia Weatherston.

As you can see, the pattern is stranded colorwork, with solid color sections at the cuff, heel, and toe. They were designed to have a heel flap/gusset heel, and, as per the Sock Madness rules, I started out knitting them that way.

Every time I looked at the socks, I couldn't help but think "What a beautiful pattern!"

And then I'd get to the heel.

Okay, I admit it. I'm not a huge fan of heel flap/gusset construction. Now I realize that it can be an important part of the design, but it's not my favorite, and I avoid it when I can. It was at this point that I decided that I had to change the heel to my favorite method - short row heels. Yes, that meant I was out of the competition, but I prefer the look of short row heels, and life is just too short to spend it knitting something you don't love.

And I do love these socks!
The inside is just as beautiful as the outside.

And they are so comfortable.

The pattern isn't yet available, but when it is, I would encourage everyone to make a pair. They are fantastic.

No comments: