Friday, November 13, 2009

Actual Knitting Content (With Pictures!)

I've finally got the pictures of some of my recent finished objects uploaded, so, of course, I had to share them.

Janelle, one of my Knit Wits friends, had a baby boy a couple of months ago. His name is Connor, and he is a cutie! To celebrate his arrival, I made him this sweater:


It's the Cables and Textures Baby Sweater from the Beautiful Baby pattern book. I modified it slightly by not doing the garter ridge stripes on the sleeves or the sides of the sweater, and made it with Patons Beehive Baby fingering weight in blue - a much finer yarn than the pattern calls for. I am pleased with the way it came out, the pattern was well written with no errors, and when paired with a onesie and some corduroy pants will be adorable.

After completing a couple of larger projects and the sweater above, I was wanting a very quick knit for some instant gratification. I also had a ball of Borroco Zen in Gochu (8223) that I had been given when I was working on the Oddball Charity Blanket, and I didn't know what to make with it. In the end, I decided on a pattern I've long wanted to make: Calorimetry.

Although it probably wasn't the best yarn choice for the pattern, being a cotton/nylon ribbon yarn, it definitely served it's purpose of instant gratification knitting. I cast it on late one evening, and completed it the next afternoon. The button is from my button stash.

The other big finished project for me was the Galveston Shawl. I finished the knitting on this a while ago, but needed to get it blocked and the ends woven in for me to count it as completed. As I had decided to make the large size, this posed a bit of a problem because I normally block larger items on a queen-sized bed in the guest room, but the pattern listed the finished measurements of this size as 75" square. It looked like a bedspread laid out over the guest bed, but lacking another option at the time, I blocked it as best I could. Though the edging doesn't look as good as I would like, it worked out pretty well.
It's knit from the center out, with the sides being divided by the "X" you see in the picture above. There are 4 distinct lace patterns, and 2 others that are similar to the patterns they are nearest to.

Even spread out on my king sized bed, it still is a close fit. I do plan to take advantage of the fact that it does all fit on there early one morning so that I can get all of the definition that blocking provides, yet still have a place to sleep at night. The yarn is merino/silk handspun in the Pewter colorway, and the finished project is warm and very nice to wrap up in.

1 comment:

dnaprice said...

Beautiful shawl and adorable baby sweater. You have been busy.