Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Petits Diamants

Last summer, I went into Michael's Arts and Crafts and saw they had Patons Stretch Socks yarn on sale, so I purchased several balls, each in a different color. My plan was to make one pair of ankle socks with each ball. I made some plain ribbed socks for the first pair, and these are the second.

The pattern is one I improvised, consisting of a lattice pattern on top, stockinette at the toe, heel, and on the bottom, and a 1x1 folded ribbed cuff. They are knitted toe up, with a short-row heel.

These I planned as very short ankle socks, and I definitely achieved that. If I were to do it over again, though, I would have made them a bit longer -- another pattern repeat and a longer cuff.

I really like the color of these (the colorway is Algae), but I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of this yarn. It's a cotton/wool/nylon/elastic blend that just doesn't have the softness or smooshie-ness that I like in sock yarn.

I have now knit several pairs of socks from yarns that are primarily cotton, and I find that I feel the same about all of them -- the cotton makes them hard on the feet. This disappoints me because wool is very warm, and I live in a very warm climate. I had hoped that the cotton blends would extend the sock wearing weather, and it does, but I find myself reaching for the wool socks first and saving these as a last resort. I also won't wear them if I'm going to be on my feet a lot. I think that wearing them is to the feet what knitting dishcloth cotton tightly is to the hands.

One positive is that I have found socks made from this yarn to be very sturdy and have had no issues with holes.

I really like the patterning on these, and the fit (apart from being a bit short) is perfect. I think I would knit them again, but with a different yarn.

In fact, I don't think I'll be making any more socks out of this yarn. Anyone have any ideas for other projects? I think I still have at least 2 balls in different colors.


Details:
Pattern Name: Petits Diamants
Pattern Designer: Brenda McCunn
Pattern Source: Not available (yet) -- I improvised this design
Yarn: Patons Stretch Socks in the Kelp colorway
Needles: US 1 (2.25 mm) Knit Picks Harmony double-pointed needles

No comments: