Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Autumn Garden Stole



When my dear friend Lara and her husband were in the process of adopting 3 children from Ethiopia, there were two things she asked me to make, a bag and a scarf/shawl/wrap. 



I got the bag finished and sent off quite a while ago (you can read about it here), and started work on the stole.

The colors were easy -- based on the colors of the Ethiopian flag.  The pattern came about after flipping through my stitch dictionary and putting a three of them together.  I got to work, it was going well, and then I feared I had run out of yarn. 



I wasn't able to get any more yarn of the same dye lot, and at least one of the colors is no longer available, so simply getting more wasn't an option.  I decided the only thing I could do was rip back to the last repeat and get it finished.  I then noticed I had broken the yarn at the cast on edge because I had cast on too tightly.  So I ripped that out, too, and left the edge unfinished.  With both edges unfinished, I had an opportunity to add a new border, so I combined the two center colors and knit on a garter stitch edge.



I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.  And although it wasn't finished in time for their trip to Ethiopia, Lara was (and is!) very pleased with it as well. 


Sorry about the quality of the last 4 pictures.  They were taken at night, indoors, so the color is more yellow than in person, but they show the overall patterning well, which was the point.  The colors of the first two pictures are more accurate.

Details:
Pattern Name: Autumn Garden Stole
Pattern Designer: Brenda McCunn
Pattern Source: Not yet available
Yarn: Knit Picks Shadow (100% Merino Wool) in the Burgundy, Persimmon Heather, and Forest Heather colorways.
Needles: Knit Picks Options, size US 4/3.5 mm

No comments: